Negotiating house prices can be daunting, especially in a market like today where many properties are being snapped up immediately and selling for way above Home Report value.
Before you buy a property make sure you do your homework and try and put yourself in the best position to be able to make an offer:
- View the property carefully and thoroughly, missing no details
- Do your homework – research asking prices of similar properties in the area
- Read the Home Report – it is freely available on espc.com
- Present yourself as an attractive buyer (cash only, chain free etc.)
- Be open and communicative with the seller
When it comes to house buying and selling there is a lot of negotiation involved and that is why it pays to work with a solicitor and estate agent who is experienced in the market and know the local area where you are buying / selling. We do not normally recommend getting into discussions with the seller. It is preferable to wait and discuss the amount of your proposed offer with your solicitor so that you do not offer too high a price.
McDougall McQueen has one of the largest property teams in Edinburgh and the Lothians, with seven high street offices. The team all live in and around the area, so have invaluable experience of how the local market works.